Monday, April 18, 2011

An Endometriosis Story

Dear Friends,
I would like to share with you one amazing woman's story and her battle with endometriosis.  Hopefully, this will become a regular weekly or bi-weekly post of sharing "your" stories.  Contact me via the page labeled "Tell Your Story" if you would like to.  It would be welcomed here, no matter the outcome or stage.  


Without further delay, here is story one of many women who have suffered with their family under the ugly head of endometriosis.




Heidi K.


Endometriosis... not exactly the diagnosis I wanted.  I heard of endometriosis and honestly, I thought it was a farce.  An excuse. A mysterious disease that no one really knew about but anyone could claim to have in an effort to garner sympathy.  Obviously, I am not known for my compassion....

January 1996, after an outpatient laparoscopy I was informed I had this mysterious disease... endometriosis.  I was determined to learn as much as I could about it and what this diagnosis meant for me.  I also set out to prove to myself that this diagnosis wasn't going to change my quality of life.  Little did I know how much this disease would change my life.

Originally, infertility was the reason my husband and I pursued the laparoscopy.  Amazingly, about 3 months after that procedure, our son was on the way.  After an uneventful pregnancy, he was born via cesarean section.  After he was safely delivered, my OB took advantage of the situation and was able to laser a considerable amount of endometriosis from the outside of my uterus and in my abdominal cavity.  I had hoped that would be the end of any more painful intercourse, heavy periods and pain.

I quickly learned how fast endometriosis can grow and spread.  Just a year after our son's birth, I experienced my first miscarriage.  Eventually, I would have 7 pregnancies and 3 beautiful children who are now 14, 11 and 7 years old.  After each of their c-section births, my OB would remove as much endometriosis as he could and for a few months my cycle would be "normal" before I would revert to the heavy bleeding and clotting again.

After our third child was born, it seemed like the endometriosis became more severe.  I had extremely heavy bleeding often two or three times a month.  My periods would last 2-3 weeks and sometimes I would only have 3-5 dry days before the cycle began anew.  By early 2006, not only was my bleeding extremely heavy but the abdominal and back pain was severe.  Ten years after my initial diagnosis, I sought a hysterectomy.  I was 36 years old.

Honestly, the hysterectomy was simply trading one problem for another.  Because endometriosis is hormone induced, I could not keep my ovaries.  Instead, I had everything removed and in two hours was thrown into menopause.  While the pain and bleeding were gone, the hot flashes, weight gain and moodiness set in.  Blindly, I began navigating my way through the hormone jungle called menopause.  Five years later, I realize I simply chose the lesser of two evils.

Looking back, I can easily say that the diagnosis of endometriosis changed my life completely. Endometriosis is a real and sometimes debilitating disease.  I would encourage any woman with this diagnosis to be informed.  Be your own advocate. Read, study, learn and when you need to, seek a second or third opinion.  Find a support group and surround yourself with those who will support you and love you.  I am extremely blessed to have an incredible husband who has patiently endured all of that and more in our 17 years of marriage.  I could not have done this journey without him or without my faith in a God who sees and knows all that we encounter and gives us peace and joy in our journeys.  

You can read more of my journey thorough life with my amazing man and our 3 kids at www.withthankfulhearts.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a touching story Heidi. It's nice to hear other women's stories who struggle with this disease. Some times I feel like I am all alone.